Wilderness Leadership Academy
Is leadership in your DNA? Do you feel a strong alignment to HATS values and the HATS mission? Are you willing to lead courageously? Are you passionate about making a difference with HATS sons, daughters, and Dads? Can you make a disciplined, intentional commitment to step up as a leader in the HATS program? A commitment that won’t waver in the face of challenges such as weather, unruly participants, or unexpected circumstances? If so, then you are good leadership material.
As a HATS leader, you have a large impact on accomplishing a great HATS campout. The Camp Director/Senior Mentor/Mentor have the challenge of and the responsibility of shaping a Dad/Daughter and Dad/Son team. You are responsible for:
- Effectively executing the HATS campout template
- Seamlessly delivering the adventure program for the campout
- Protecting the HATS non-negotiable
- Communicating effectively with participant and other mentor teams
- Safety of the participants and other mentors
- Handling any problems that arise
- Delivering the HATS mission on each and every campout
Completing Wilderness Leadership Academy
WLA Steps, to be performed in order:
- Attend a Fall or Spring WLA campout, to learn and practice Traits of a Leader or Principles of Leadership.
- Mentor at a HATS campout to gain practical experience as a leader.
- Attend the missing Fall or Spring WLA campout, to complete the training.
- Mentor another HATS campout to practice the additional leadership skills. WLA pins are awarded at this campout.
- Attend and complete the Safety and Wilderness First Aid campout, and receive your Wilderness First Aid pin. (Another certified first aid course may be substituted.)
- Demonstrate proficiency as a leader within the HATS program. In some cases, additional practice may be suggested. At completion of all 6 steps, the Wilderness Leadership Academy certificate will be awarded.